Brandon Joseph fights his way to silver

first_imgTrinidad and Tobago’s Taekwondo fighter, Brandon Joseph, took the silver medal at the recent USAT Florida State Taekwondo Championships, held at the Orlando Hilton Convention Center.He finished second to Oliver Rene Largaespada. The runner-up spot earned Joseph a spot in the USAT National tournament.For Joseph —  who recently moved up one weight class — this is a second Florida State Championship silver medal. He copped his first in the cadet division two years ago.last_img

Police arrest man suspected of vandalizing Haitian church in Port St….

first_imgUPDATE: Police arrested a suspect on Wednesday, May 16th. The suspect is identified as 29-year-old Christopher Joseph Trout of Port St. Lucie.*************************************Police are looking for a man who vandalized a Haitian church in Port St. Lucie, Fl, even as worshippers are demanding action. New Jerusalem Church of God member Marie Leger looked over security camera footage of a man walking outside her church and smashing the cameras. The video shows a man in sunglasses, an orange shirt and blue shorts, walking directly toward one camera and smacking it. He had earlier reversed his car into a parking space but kept his license plate out of view. Some members believe the man targeted the church because it is the only black church in the area.The church has only been on Port St. Lucie Boulevard for seven months.last_img read more

Outgoing CCJ president lauded

first_imgProminent regional and international jurists on Wednesday praised the contributions of the outgoing President of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), Sir Dennis Byron, for his immense contribution to Caribbean and international jurisprudence.Leaves post on July 3Sir Dennis, 75, who leaves the Trinidad-based CCJ on July 3, was praised during a special sitting of the Antigua and Barbuda High Court for his years of service to the region and the international community as a lawyer and a judge.“Sir Dennis, you are, you were, and you will be Sir Dennis a man. Sir Dennis you touched the lives of so many persons in this country, in the region and internationally. You are truly a Caribbean man, a man who contributed not only to the development of Caribbean jurisprudence but the development of many a lawyer in the region,” Antigua and Barbuda’s Attorney general Steadroy “Cuttie” Benjamin said.Benjamin said he would always be grateful to the advice of Sir Dennis, who instilled in him the need to have proper preparation in order to prevent poor performance and this is a message he too would like to leave with the wider regional community.Chief Justice of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court, Dame Janice Pereira, recalled the influence that the St. Kitts-Nevis born jurist had on her professional development and that the majority of his career was spent in the Eastern Caribbean region.Served with great distinction “He has served the region with great distinction,” she said, noting that when he went to serve as a permanent Judge of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, which is located in Tanzania, he did so again with much distinction.“President Byron has legitimately earned the respect of all his colleagues and peers as one of the greatest jurist from the CARICOM region and beyond,” she said in her message that was read by Justice Clare Henry, of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court.Sir Dennis, the second Caribbean national to head the CCJ, which was established in 2001 to replace the London-based Privy Council as the region’s final court, said that his tenure had been “a wonderful experience.”last_img read more

State of Public Emergency extended in western Jamaica

first_imgThe Jamaican senate have given the nod for the State of Public Emergency in effect in the western parish of St. James to continue for another three months, until November 1.Last week, Members of the Senate unanimously approved the extension under the Emergency Powers (Continuance) (No. 3) Resolution, 2018. The previous week,  the Lower House voted in favor of the extension.The State of Public Emergency was first declared in St. James on January 18 by Prime Minister Andrew Holness and has been extended twice since then.Building on the foundationMinister of State in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator Pearnel Charles Jr., who moved the Resolution, said the State of Public Emergency is not intended to continue forever, but the extension is needed “to build on the foundation that has been created so that crime becomes more manageable and normal policing can be utilized.”More time needed “We need to construct a safe and stable environment for our citizens, but we won’t get there overnight. We need more time so that the law enforcement and security personnel can effectively dismantle these criminal elements,” he said.Noting that the State of Public Emergency has contributed to a reduction in crime, he informed that during the period January 1 to July 21, there were 55 murders in St. James, which reflects a 67.3 per cent decrease when compared to the corresponding period in 2017.Significant crime reduction“What this means is that there have been 113 less murders in St. James. Moreover, the average daily murders have fallen from 4.65 to 3.44 per cent,” he said, pointing to a 56.6 per cent reduction in shootings for the same period.Additionally, the parish has seen a 32.4 per cent reduction in robberies and a 38.1 per cent reduction in reported rapes between January 1 and July 15.Up to June 30, a total of 2,729 persons were detained of which 175 were charged for various crimes, including 20 persons charged as gang leaders or members.Additionally, 46 firearms were recovered and many of these were directly linked to gang leaders and members. On July 13, a significant person of interest was intercepted and arrested at a checkpoint in St. James.Noting that the enhanced security measures are working, Senator Charles Jr. said the citizens of St. James, the security forces, tourism stakeholders and business people “are calling for more time.”“They have (said) that they feel safer and their well-being is more protected. The residents in St. James have been steadily increasing in confidence, and are more trusting of the security forces and this trust and confidence has directly translated to more and more information being given on the whereabouts of criminals and their weapons,” he pointed out.last_img read more

Over four million tourists to visit Cuba by year end

first_imgHavana, Cuba HAVANA, CMC – Cuba’s Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero, says the island will reach the over four million tourist mark by the end of this year.5,000 new roomsMarrero who was speaking during a recent meeting with tour operators, travel agents, airline representatives  and media in Milan, Italy, said as part of the island’s tourism development plan, there will soon be 5,000 new rooms including the recently opened Packard and the International Hotel Varadero, which will open soon.The Tourism Minister comments came as part of Italy’s actions for opening the 2018/19 winter season. He took the opportunity to remind participants that Italy has always remained among the top 10 tourism markets for Cuba.He announced that by 2019 another 5,250 rooms are expected to be completed, and said the government is planning to build a new five-star luxury hotel in Cayo Largo.Marrero stressed that Cuba’s Ministry of Tourism supports the expansion of hotel management contracts between Italian groups and national chains, and said the ministry has worked hard on to raise the quality of the destination.Modernization of Jose Marti AirportHe recalled that a contract has already been approved with the company Aeropuertos de París (ADP) for the modernization and subsequent administration of the José Martí International Airport in Havana.He added that Cuba, as a tourist destination, has designed and is implementing a strategy for its digital transformation in order to maintain its competitiveness at a global level and fundamentally in the Caribbean region. To this end, a new official portal was published in the domain www.cuba.travel, developed on a platform of digital marketing and electronic commerce, which will become the main Internet channel to get to know Cuba.Accelerating WI-FI coverage According to Marrero, intensive work is being done to accelerate the deployment of Wi-Fi coverage in tourist facilities, in order to offer Internet access as part of the tourist package. In the case of hotels, he said, it is planned to cover all common areas, rooms and even reach the beach.He commented that to date 147,900 Italian tourists have been received in the country, and although it represents a decrease over the previous year, and expressed confidence that the development of joint and timely actions will ensure a good winter season with this market.last_img read more

IDB provides funds to help Jamaica strengthen national healthcare system

first_imgIt said Jamaica’s NCD prevention policy seeks to address two main challenges. The first is prevention of NCDs by addressing four preventable risk factors: tobacco use, excessive alcohol consumption, a sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy dietary habits.The IDB said the second is improving the quality of life and care for people living with NCDs. It also involves preventing premature NCD-related deaths.The IDB noted that, five years ago, Jamaica developed the “National Strategic and Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Disease,” and the plan aims to reduce the burden of NCDs and injuries by 25 per cent by 2025.Reduce risk factors for NCDs“The Government’s goals for this loan program are to reduce the public’s exposure to risk factors for NCDs; to provide increased capacity in health centers and hospitals to diagnose and treat NCD patients; and to reorient Jamaica’s health systems to address prevention and control of NCDs through consumer-oriented primary health care,” the IDB said.It said the hybrid loan includes two complementary elements: a US$50 million Programmatic Policy-Based (PBP) loan and a US$50 million investment loan.“The PBP will fund the necessary regulations and policies to implement coherent and comprehensive health sector strategy. The investment loan will fund improvements in Jamaica’s primary care system, and will improve the management, quality, and efficiency of Jamaica’s hospital and health service networks.”First in series of healthcare loans The IDB said the hybrid program is the first of a programmatic policy-based loan series for Jamaica’s health sector, which comprises “two contractually independent and technically linked loans”.The PBP loan, funded from the IDB’s Ordinary Capital, will disburse US$50 million within one year, with a grace period of 5.5 years. The executing agency for the PBP will be Jamaica’s Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFPS), the IDB said.The IDB investment loan of US$50 million will be disbursed over a five-year period, with a grace period of 5.5 years. The executing agency for the investment loan will be Jamaica’s Ministry of Health (MOH), the IDB said. The Inter-American Development Bank Headquarters in Washington, D.C. WASHINGTON, CMC – The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) says it is providing US$100 million in loans to Jamaica to help strength the country’s national health care system.The Bank said the funds will aid Jamaica’s fight against non-communicable diseases (NCDs).The strengthening of Jamaica’s health policies that target NCD risk factors and treatment, includes “providing higher quality care and improving access to public health networks, with an emphasis on chronic disease management,” the IDB said.last_img read more

Gallery: Lukaku First Training Session With Manchester United

first_imgRomelu Lukaku settled straight to work with Manchester United, as he joined the rest of the squad in Los Angeles for United’s first training session of their pre-season tour, barely an hour after his official announcement.It is the Belgian striker’s first training with his new teammates after moving to United from Everton for £75m on a five-year contract. A deal that could further rise to £90m with the option of another 12-months. RelatedLukaku Returns To Manchester United TrainingNovember 9, 2018In “England”Lukaku Scores First Manchester United Goal – VideoJuly 18, 2017In “England”Lukaku Ruled Out of Manchester United Friendly With Inter MilanJuly 19, 2019In “England”last_img read more

Coleman Names 23-Man Squad For Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers

first_imgWales manager Chris Coleman has named a 23-man squad to navigate their upcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Republic of Ireland.The squad is made up of 3 goalkeepers, 7 defenders, 7 midfielders and 6 forwards.Uncapped Sheffield United winger David Brooks has been named on the list alongside another first timer in Preston North End goalkeeper Chris Maxwell.20-year old Brooks had earlier played for England’s Under-20s in the summer but he haso now decided to represent Wales having made an impressive start to this season with Sheffield United in the English Championship.Regular squad members Jazz Richards and James Collins have however been left out as a result of injury.On the call-up for Brooks, Coleman said: “David Brooks has earned it, he has been great for [Wales U21 manager] Robert Page. He was excellent for Sheffield United in the derby.”“He’s shown great promise for some years, luckily for us he has chosen Wales. I am sure that has caused some ripples over the Severn Bridge.“But it is a feather in the cap for our system, our structure, that David is here. He has earned his chance.“I have met him, we had a coffee last month, we had a good chat. It’s not like he’s meeting me for the first time.“I would not be afraid to put him on, but I don’t feel obliged to cap him unless it suits us.” he added.On his star players namely Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey, Coleman said: “Gareth and Rambo are in great form and that’s great news for us. It’s important both players are playing so well.”Wales face hosts Georgia on October 6 before the derby against the Republic of Ireland in Cardiff on October 9 with the team currently in second place with two Group D matches to go and on course for a play-off spot at least.Wales Squad:Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey, Danny Ward, Chris Maxwell;Defenders: Ben Davies, James Chester, Neil Taylor, Chris Gunter, Tom Lockyer, Ashley Williams, Ethan Ampadu;Midfielders: Joe Allen, David Edwards, Andy King, Joe Ledley, Aaron Ramsey, Jonathan Williams, David Brooks;Forwards: Gareth Bale, Marley Watkins, Hal Robson-Kanu, Sam Vokes, Tom Lawrence, Ben Woodburn.Relatedlast_img read more

Akpoguma Must Decide If He Wants To Play For Nigeria Or Not – Rohr

first_imgSuper Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr has told Nigerian-born German defender Kevin Akpoguma to decide whether he wants to play for Nigeria.The Franco-German coach was speaking in a chat with German media outlet SWR after he had watched him play for his TSG Hoffenheim side against Eintracht Frankfurt in a German Bundesliga game on Saturday.In his words, Roger said: “I watched him play for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt on Saturday. Kevin is an excellent match for the players we are on the lookout for.””But he’ll have to decide soon whether he wants to wear the colors of Nigeria and I’ll call him in the next few days.” he added.On a possible invitation to play for the Super Eagles, Akpoguma, who has represented Germany at U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 level, said: ”That honors me, of course, but I’m German, I was born here, so I should play for Germany too.” Relatedlast_img read more

Beehive expands services into Romania with BaumBet partnership

first_img Related Articles Superbet doubles down on Lucky7’s challenger investment  July 27, 2020 Romania’s ONJN adds 20 sites to blacklist August 14, 2020 EveryMatrix promotes Samoil Dolejan to lead next phase of MoneyMatrix growth May 21, 2020 Share Submit Share StumbleUpon Industry data-led customer retention marketing (CRM) specialist Beehive will expand its services within the regulated Romanian online gambling sector, by agreeing a partnership with BaumBet, one of Romania’s largest retail betting operators.BaumBet who recently launched its online betting portal www.Baum.bet, has installed Beehive’s CRM platform allowing for data-led optimization of its player targeting and messaging. Octavian Manu, CEO at Baum Online, backed Beehive as marketing partner stating “The Romanian gaming market is thriving and competition is intense, which is why we have brought in Beehive to help us gain an edge through data-driven marketing.“Beehive’s innovative marketing platform enables us to drill down into our database in ways we hadn’t thought possible, and communicate with our players across the channels.“The team at Beehive has been extremely supportive and we look forward to building a long and fruitful relationship together.”CRM specialist Beehive continues its industry momentum of gaining new client wins. In 2016 the company announced CRM lead partnerships with StanleyBet and Ladbrokes UK. Furthermore, Beehive entered 2017 strongly, being confirmed as group marketing partner for FTSE-listed GVC Holdings brands (Bwin, Party Gaming, Sportingbet).Adi Dagan, founder and CEO of Beehive, commented on his firms new partnership  “We are thrilled to increase our presence in the Romanian market with this major agreement with BaumBet.”“Beehive’s data-driven platform has rapidly grown over the past year, empowering its users by placing industry-leading tools in the palm of their hands. I’m excited to partner with the BaumBet team and nurture a fruitful relationship with them over the coming years.”“Following on from another successful ICE, this deal underlines Beehive’s commitment to continue to expand into new territories.”last_img read more